If you have forgotten your account password or pattern or PIN, then a Factory Reset Protection process may be necessary.
A Factory Reset Protection will trigger when either a hard key reset or factory data reset is done on a device that has a Google (Gmail or phone number) account(s) logged in on the device, at the time of the reset.
- During the device setup, the Google (Gmail or phone number) account logged in at the time of the last reset must be used to sign in. If multiple accounts were logged in, the first account that was added must be used.
- The phone must have internet connection (via Wi-Fi or mobile data) for it to connect to the server, verify the credentials, and bypass the lock.
Note: If the phone does not have internet connection, then it will NOT bypass the Google lock - even if the credentials are correct.
Before going down this path, please be advised:
- Hot Pepper does not have access to your Google account information and password.
- The device could have been set up with another Gmail address or phone number originally.
- The account password is case sensitive.
- After a successful password reset, it can take 24 -72 hours for the password to sync to the device.
- To protect the account from unauthorized access, Google limits the number of times a customer can attempt password recovery via email, SMS, or Account Recovery form. Google will temporarily disable a particular account recovery option after too many incorrect attempts.
- When resetting the password, there is no guarantee that the new password will update and allow account authentication.
- The manufacturer's warranty does not cover the Google Reactivation lock (also known as Factory Reset Protection).
Instructions for Factory Reset Protection:
- Access https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery from a computer
- Enter the email address or phone number you use to sign in to Google.
NOTE: This can be your Gmail address, your G Suite email address, your recovery phone number, or another email address or phone number associated with your account.
- If you forgot or are not sure about the email address or phone number you use to sign in to Google, please click Find my account
- Select the option that applies under "Having trouble signing in?" Note: Enter any recovery email address or phone number associated with your account or click Request Google's help.
- Press the Select the issue and choose the appropriate selection from the list
- Follow the instructions carefully.
- If the information is entered correctly, you will be provided with the account information or have the option to reset the password.
- If you reset your Google Account password and need to do a factory reset, wait 24 hours to 72 hours after changing your password before resetting your device. For security, you can't use an account to set up a device after reset if that password changed within 24 to 72 hours.
Note: the Factory Reset Protection (also known as Google Reactivation Lock) is fully supported by Google. If you have any questions about this feature or run into any issues, please contact Google directly at 1-855-836-3987.